|4 pounds Plum tomatoes halved|
|Mixed with the herbs and other ingredients|
|After they have been roasted.|
|Next was to process them in a food mill.|
|The finish product, which we then canned in a water bath. This made 3 pints.|
- 4 pounds Roma tomatoes, or other ripe tomato (if using other tomatoes de-seed and try to get rid of as much excess liquid.)
- ½ cup diced onions
- 3-4 anchovy filets from a can (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint minced
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dry marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (honey may be substituted)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut each Roma tomato in half the long way. If using other tomato types, remove core and discard. Then cut them in half from top to bottom.
- In a large bowl place tomato halves, diced onion, anchovy filets, garlic, oregano, basil, mint, pepper flakes, marjoram, salt and oil. Toss to combine then pour out onto a sheet pan. Arrange tomato halves cut side up and roast uncovered for one hour. Remove from oven, flip tomatoes and roast for 30 more minutes.
- (Note: different tomato varieties have different water content. The above step should be monitored. You are looking for a good deal of the water content to evaporate but not burn the tomatoes)
- Using a food mill, process the cooked tomatoes and all liquid through the mill, discarding seeds and skin left in the mill.
- To the pureed tomatoes, add the remaining ingredients - tomato paste, agave nectar, onion powder, butter and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and adjust seasoning. Use on your favorite pizza or can for later use.