Monday, August 3, 2009

Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, Florida

I remember going here on my 1st visit to FL in 1959. This spring is a constant temperature and so clear. The water then flows out to the Gulf of Mexico.
As we walked in we saw some peacocks just wandering around. They are always so gentle looking and their call can be heard all over the park

In the Buccaneer Bay area there was a high school group testing out their 1 man self powered submarines. I sort of thought of them as the pinewood car derby for boy scouts. Evidentially there are competitions for these student built machines. (They are powered by pedaling like a bicycle.)

Next we wandered over to the river for a little cruise on a pontoon boat. The ‘captain’ gave all of history about the area and info on the birds and wildlife. Very interesting and it was included in the price of the admission ticket.

But the biggest attraction is the mermaid show. The day we were there the story was loosely based on the Little Mermaid. You enter the “theater” which is underground and has a thick glass wall in front of you –the stage! The curtain opens and there are the mermaids.

The locals – turtles- seemed to like the show too because they kept getting right into the girls faces – to the point the had to be pushed away. Very cute!

The ‘actors’ have air tubes that they use every so often so they do not have to surface or wear air tanks.

And they lived happily ever after. Ahhhh !!!!

It is one of those things that is fun to do and will be a long lasting memory.

http://weekiwachee.com/main/

4 comments:

The Postcard Emporium said...

WOW, I have seen many postcards of those mermaids but did not think they were still around. Will have to put that on my "must see" next time I am in Florida.

Louise's Musings HerbsCraftsGifts.com said...

I think it is worth the the effort to go see this. It is very unique and memorable.

papel1 said...

I sold a postcard awhile back of the Weeki Wachee Springs State Park. Looks like a fun place.
Judy

Danna Crawford said...

Oh How I've wanted to return there with my children! I went there as a child twice and have such fond memories too! One day I must return, THANKS for sharing!!!