Tuesday, November 19, 2013

How I cook our perfect Thanksgiving Turkey



I am a self taught cook and have perfected our turkey.  My Irish grandmother always used Salt Pork on the bird .

I truss it with butcher twine and slip the slices of salt pork under the string so the whole breast, wings & legs are covered.  I start  roast it according to the directions on the package, but typically I do it at 425 degrees for 1 hours and then lower to 350 until it reaches 165 degrees. It might take longer because I put the stuffing inside the bird.  After the 1st hour the salt pork starts to melt creating juice in the bottom of the pan.  I baste the turkey and then continue to bast every 45 minutes.

When the salt pork looks like it is pretty well cooked, I remove it and set aside. 
It will look like a naked jay bird - hee hee. Baste again and now the skin will start browning.  Continue cooking and basting alittle more ofter.  If the skin looks like it is getting too dark, I make a loose tent with aluminum foil.  
Take it out of the oven and set aside to rest.
I then make the gravy from the pan drippings. Here is the blog I wrote to make wonderful, smooth, tasty gravy without all the fuss the TV chefs put into it. ;)) 


No comments: