Friday, January 6, 2012

Ebelskiver / Aebleskiver - Danish Pancake Balls

I have been making these for our family for over 30 years.  Not all the time but occasionally and when I do they consider them a real treat.
The special pan is the secret.  I use just any pancake mix or recipe and let a small dab of butter melt in each depression before adding the batter.
We like fruit in the middle.  This day I did mandarin orange sections cut into 1/3rds.  Sometimes I will add cinnamon to the batter too, depending what filling I am using 
They have to be turned at least once during the cooking process.  I found using a 2 prong meat fork in one hand and 1 chop stick in the other, flips them pretty easily. 
They can be served with powered sugar (I use vanilla sugar) or syrup.  They don't really need more butter since they were 'fried' in the butter. 

10 comments:

Joyuna said...

Wow, those look really delicious! :)

Danna Crawford said...

This seriously look delicious! On a mission now to find a pan :-)

Rose Clearfield said...

I would love to get one of these pans! They look like so much fun.

Dawn Conklin said...

Wow these look really good! I will have to try this one day, I never thought to make pancakes in a ball like this. Thank you for sharing :)

Catch My Words said...

Interesting recipe. I wonder if it would work just as well with my cupcake pan.

Joyce
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2012/01/silly-sunday-teacher-arrested.html

Louise's Musings HerbsCraftsGifts.com said...

Interesting idea Joyce. I will be interested to know how it works. The one downside I can think of is that the cupcake pan is thinner and the holes are further apart.

aynzan said...

My children will definitely love these pancakes..I have never seen a pan like this before..Wondering if I can get one here in the Middle-east.If only you were living next door..I'll be knocking your door to borrow the pan..:)

Louise's Musings HerbsCraftsGifts.com said...

There are several listed on eBay. Enjoy.

Jen said...

Ooooh, yummy! :o)

papel1 said...

Wow my breakfast is now in the microwave...does not look as tasty. Thanks for the entrecard ads.
Judy