Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Homemade Worcestershire Sauce Recipe

2 Tbs Olive oil
2 large Onions - roughly chopped
1/2 C Tamarind Paste
2 Tbs minced Garlic
2 Tbs minced Ginger
2 Jalapenos - seeds removed and minced (I don't use them)
3 Tbs chopped Anchovies (they melt in and you never know they are there.  I suspect they are used for flavor instead of using salt)
3 Tbs Tomato Paste
2 whole Cloves
2 Tbs Black Pepper (I thought 2 Tbs was too much)
1/2 C dark Corn Syrup
1 C Molasses
3 C White Vinegar
1 C Dark Beer
1/2 C Orange Juice
2 C Water
1 Lemon thinly sliced, seeds removed
1 Lime thinly sliced, seeds removed


In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add onions and saute until soft - about 5-7 minutes.  

Stir in tamarind paste, garlic, ginger, and jalapenos.  Cook 5 minutes more.  Add anchovies, tomato paste, cloves, pepper, corn syrup, molasses, white vinegar, dark beer, orange juice, water, lemon and lime. 

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer stirring occasionally for 2 -3 hours or until it naps the back of a spoon.  


(I don't like it chunky so I used a blender to make it smooth.)  

Makes 6 Cups.  

Notes - Tamarind Paste - I bought it in 2 different forms.  One was very pasty and the other a hardish block.  I used the block on the 1st batch yesterday and it was chunky so I tried using the stick blender to smooth it, but the blender keep hitting really hard stuff and I couldn't figure out why. I ended up using a regular blender and straining it all.

Then I did a second batch using the really soft paste and discovered the tamarind seeds where still in there.  So I heated the 2 cups of water and put in about 2/3 C of the paste and let it melt in the water, then strained it.  Found lots of big hard seeds and some skin too.  


I think trying to remove the seeds any other way would be next to impossible because it is so sticky and then there is the issue of the skin too.

No comments: